I answered this question the best as I could, according to years of my knowledge of affiliate marketing. Apart from other online marketing methods/strategies, I have been doing and studying affiliate marketing for the last 6 years, and as for many other online marketers, affiliate marketing has been my very first choice when I decided to become an online marketer because it seemed to be the fastest and easiest option to start earning money online.
Down below I clarified and covered some downside points of affiliate marketing and why it may not be the most lucrative option for the beginning online marketers.
What Are Some Big Downsides to Affiliate Marketing?
The biggest downside (even if a product is of a high-quality) is that you have no control over it.
- You have no control over the future development and features of a product.
- Very little control over the marketing campaign and promotion of a product to prospects/customers.
- No control over the support service (If the vendor decides to discontinue the support for the product such as updates or upgrades) – it’s never a good sign.
- When prospects that you refer to the product learn/find out that you are an affiliate earning commission % for each sale, they often get overwhelmed with skepticism and see you (even if partially) as a scammer.
Overall, the low level of Trust that is hard to gain. It’s much harder to sell other people’s products as an affiliate apart from being creator/owner of the product. Automatically, in the eyes of a prospect, the Authority & Trust score is much higher when you sell a product that is yours.
I also would like to list some positive factors about affiliate marketing:
- You don’t have to worry about the product development, product support, issues and bugs that may arise etc. But again, these positives come with the price.
This question was originally answered by Me on Quora, Follow me on Quora to learn more about Online Marketing.